Saturday, May 16, 2009

Goodbye WA...

Today has been a good day for Udeni. He travelled 115km, and enjoyed his first bit of tail wind for the trip- making life just a little easier! He has now cycled a total of 1375km, with the next stop tomorrow being the small town of Eucla, which consists of a road house, a caravan park- and not much else. Eucla is just 12km from the South Australian border.

He says that his leg cramps are much better over the last few days thanks to some Advil and Deep Heat, however he is still not 100%. His muscle cramps mean that he needs to stop ever 20km to stretch, slowing him down further. Nevertheless, Udeni is happy and positive in spite of it all!

"Tomorrow I will have to climb a big scarp to the South Australia border and back up to the Nullabor plain. I've bumped into a small number of travellers along the way during the last couple of days- mainly truck drivers while I'm having my meal. Been getting good meals when I get to towns, I've been pigging out totally otherwise I'll lose too much weight! I've usually been having a big breakfast and big dinner, but not much during the day. You don't get hungry when you have greasy bacon and eggs for breakfast.

I'm in Mundrabilla right now. The place here is pretty basic- but at gold plated prices. It's very cold... all day long. The wind chill is the worst. Today I needed to wear four layers- cycle pants, thermals, skins and then leg warmers. Even though you're exercisng the wind makes it hard to shed the layers.

I haven't been able to find a washing machine since Caiguna so haven't been able to clean my clothes. But deoderant does the trick for now."

Lucky he's riding alone! When asked if he's having fun Udeni says that he's enjoying himself and that he's loving the challenge.