Sunday, May 3, 2009

The beginning of the loooong stretch: the Nullabor Plain

The second week of cycling has brought a sense of rhythm and routine as Udeni completes over 700km across Oz to date. Today Udeni reached Norsman, his first stop before the long, dry stretch of the Nullabor Plain. Udeni spent the day in Coolgardie/Kalgoorlie on Monday to rest, recuperate and eat his last steak and vegetable dinner for some time. Here Udeni had the chance to see some familiar faces, service his bike and plan for the next challenging leg.

‘I spoke to some people in Kalgoorlie who informed me about accessing water across the Nullabor Plain, which will be a main concern for this stretch. I will have to carry at least 10 liters with me, as well as enough food to allow me to camp in the bush for up to 3 days at a time before I reach any other form of accommodation. I have had to conserve water by rinsing my dishes with water and drinking it afterwards!’

Udeni has encountered a number of interesting people on his ride, including a like-minded man cycling to Darwin, and one walking across the Plain (Udeni’s wife Dammika is hoping he won’t get any more ideas!). The walking man was lucky to bump into Udeni, especially since he was out of water!

‘I will be out of contact over the next few days and am going to start the next stretch a little later in the day tomorrow to double check my supplies. Things have being going well, I am feeling good and any pain I may have is easily fixed with some Voltaran cream! I am well rested and am going to keep plodding along at my own pace…’